Yo Mr. Orc, please pay attention to me

Over the past few months, I have been enjoying the game as my kinship's primary tank. Yes, we do absolutely have other tanks, but all other guardians seem to be alts of someone's whose main is a different class. So at the end of the day, you'll find me tanking my heart out in some scary cave screaming at orcs to pay attention to me, not the healers.

It's ironic, I suppose, that I ended up tanking most everything my kinship runs. I'm a small, young(ish) girl who is not very aggressive and hates confrontation. But maybe tanking is a way for me to play a different character, though it was entirely not intentional.

I started out with a little minstrel back in 2012 when I first started playing the game. She was a hobbit minstrel with brunette bangs and freckles, who wore dresses and road on a Mathom reputation steed. I have only the fondest memories of that little minstrel and the in-game friendships I made because of her. Who actually knows why I deleted her in 2013.

At that point, I had rolled out a guardian as my alt (my minstrel was level 30! yay me!). If I could remember the exact reason why I clicked the delete button on my minstrel, I'd tell you. Was I bored of a hobbit? Were minstrels too soft (which is entirely not true... but I was really young at the time)? Did I crave the survivability and powerful feeling a guardian provided?

One way or another, Makaia the elf guardian inherited the spot of "main character". She was the first one to brave the terrors of Carn Dum, the first one to see the halls of Moria. It was in the position of guardian that I fell in love with the fields of Rohan, and it was on my guardian I wondered at the magnificence of Minas Tirith.

I had always enjoyed my guardian, but it wasn't until I hit level cap in August of last year that I really, truly learned how to play the class. It wasn't until then that I learned that I shouldn't be using a shield for everything, and that having stats besides might and vitality was a very good thing.

As of recently, I have been tanking some wonderful group content with my kinnies. My personal favorite is Silent Street (my favorite instance of all time! yay Minas Tirith!), but I've also loved our countless attempts at Throne of the Dread Terror, and the runs of Skoironk and the Towers of the Teeth crafting instances in the Wastes.

A guardian's role is to protect those around us and I've enjoyed doing that, and will continue to enjoy that. Onward to Mordor!



P.S. I've included the only throwback screenshots I can find of Makaia. They're absolutely awful, but they're all I got. I know I have more on my old computer, but sadly they may be lost. Oh well.

P.P.S. I've decided to change the titles of these blog posts to something far less intimidating. I didn't like the "grown up" all caps titles.

Comments